Nighty style


"A woman may and does wear pyjamas to quite formal dinners in her own house, to other people's dinners in town and country if you know them well and the more iconoclastic members of the female sex even wear them to the theatre."
"Pyjamas - When are they worn?" Vogue 1 June 1931

The quote above is a little contributing justification towards the purchase of this set of pyjamas that I cannot and will not shorten to PJs because quite simply these are a different beast to the fleecy, Sanrio character-ridden, slubby, couch potato attire that I refer to as PJs. Vogue 1931 doesn't get the last say though because I seem to have a LOT to chat about this particular Saturday purchase.

My visits to Alfie's Antiques Market in Marylebone normally makes me balk at the prices of collectibles and in particular vintage clothing always involves some fairly 'heavyweight' pricing because the vendor can normally reel off a whole backstory proving the piece's provenance. I don't resent this at all given that my own taste in vintage has gotten a bit more selective over the years anyway and London can cause some justified price hiking (rents, bills blah blah...). Still, I do normally hold back in nodding at the backstory of a vintage piece and actually handing over my debit card. This time round, I blame the fact that the guy at Tin Tin Collectibles described these wide-legged silk pyajama pants and matching short-sleeved shirt as 'cocktail pyjamas' from the 1930s-40s. My ears were pricked by the term and suddenly I was handing over my debit card...

I'll spend some time trying to deduce what went on in the thought process behind this randomThe instant swaying factor I suppose were these unusual colours which struck me as I passed by Tin Tin Collectibles, and as well as being non-nighty shades (the usual ivory, pastels etc...), also reminded me of Richard Nicoll S/S 10, a collection that I distinctly remember... transaction...

No comments:

Post a Comment