Guide to Buying A Men's Dress Watch


Unlike women, men have the unprivileged position of not having the opportunity to wear jewelries along with formal clothing. Of course, men can always wear as much jewelry as they want to, but if they really want to follow what is normal, this practice is usually frowned on.

I guess the only accessory we're really allowed to wear is a dress watch. This is something uncommon among women. I actually wonder why is it that men are the only ones allowed to know what time it already is. Interestingly, because of the fact that men don't wear much accessories, it is already common even for the best dressed men to fail when it comes to choosing an appropriate watch.

So is it going to be an analog watch or a digital one? As a rule of thumb, for formal wear, you should not wear a digital watch. Most, if not all, dress watches come in analog form anyway. Don't ask me why this is the case, but I already associate analog watches with formal clothes.

As for the wrist band material, you have two options. Either go for metal or for leather. I personally go for metal because from where I am, it's very hot around here so leather straps tend to get damaged because of the sweat in my wrists. I also prefer it that my metal watch is heavy, unlike the light appearance of a leather strap.

Now what about the mechanism that the watch will use in order to power itself? There are three options. You can go for digital batteries, quarts crystals, or hand-wound mechanical power. Among the three, hand-wound mechanical watches are the most expensive, because of the superior craftsmanship involved in the process of creating it. But there are really no requirements for formal clothing for this matter since it all depends on your budget.

What about brands, costs, and long-term value of these watches? I know that dress watches can become very expensive, so we'll talk about other issues concerning watches in the coming posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment